Saturday, November 4, 2017

Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale


America’s Favorite Teenager, Archie Andrews, is reborn in the pages of this must-have graphic novel collecting the first six issues of the comic book series that everyone is talking about. Meet Riverdale High teen Archie, his oddball, food-loving best friend Jughead, girl-next-door Betty and well-to-do snob Veronica Lodge as they embark on a modern reimagining of the beloved Archie world. It’s all here: the love triangle, friendship, humor, charm and lots of fun – but with a decidedly modern twist.

Brought to you by some of the masters of the comic book genre, including writer Mark Waid and the all-star lineup of artists: Fiona Staples, Annie Wu and Veronica Fish, the first volume of ARCHIE presents readers with a new take on the beloved Archie Comics concepts while retaining the best elements from the company’s 75 years of history. ARCHIE VOL. 1 collects ARCHIE #1-6 and features bonus content including scripts, sketches, variant covers and the full first issue of the all new JUGHEAD series by acclaimed writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Erica Henderson.



(Synopsis from Goodreads)

Title: Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale
Author: Mark Waid
Illustrator: Fiona Staples, Annie Wu, Veronica Fish
Publisher: Archie Comics
Published: March 29, 2016
Pages: 176
Genre: Comics and Graphic Novels

I was a big Archie comic lover growing up. I had a new issue in my hands every Friday after my dad got off work. He would go to Wal-Mart, pick it up, then deliver it to me where I'd be waiting with my hands out and a big smile plastered on my face. I was addicted. I even went to old thrift stores and sale barns to find the super old ones that costed like 25 cents. Archie was a staple in my life, and I look back on them in fondness. 

When I found out Archie was getting a modern update, I was hesitant. I felt like nothing could compare to my old Archie. I'm glad I took the leap to read this one, though, because I felt that nostalgia all over again when I picked this volume up. 

I love how in the intro Fiona Staples made her opinion on Archie very clear, and that they were so respectful with how they rebooted the stories and characters. I don't think this job could have been handed to a better group of people than it was.

The characters ended up having a lot more depth to them, which I loved. The love triangle (which was always super weird to me growing up) makes sense to me now. I always loved Jughead, but he's so much more a part of my heart now that he has more involvement in the comics rather than him just being Archie's best friend.

The look of the book is so much more amazing now too. The colors are vivid, the characters stand out more. There's just so much to see without it being overwhelming. The art style definitely draws you in so much that you want to examine every part of it before you turn the page.

I definitely recommend anyone who loved Archie when they were younger to pick this up and read it, and even if the comics weren't a major part of your life, there's more of a chance than there's not that you'll like the book too!

No comments:

Post a Comment