Thursday, April 6, 2017

Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies by J.K. Rowling


Title: Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies
Author: J.K. Rowling
Pages: 71
Format: E-book

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Pottermore Presents is a collection of J.K. Rowling’s writing from the Pottermore archives: short reads originally featured on pottermore.com with some exclusive new additions. These eBooks, with writing curated by Pottermore, will take you beyond the Harry Potter stories as J.K. Rowling reveals her inspiration, intricate details of characters’ lives and surprises from the wizarding world.
These stories of heroism, hardship and dangerous hobbies profile two of the Harry Potter stories’ most courageous and iconic characters: Minerva McGonagall and Remus Lupin. J.K. Rowling also gives us a peek behind the closed curtains of Sybill Trelawney’s life, and you’ll encounter the reckless, magical-beast-loving Silvanus Kettleburn along the way.


Review:
I honestly didn't even know these books were out, but when I stumbled on them I knew I had to push them up towards the top of my TBR. They're short stories, so they don't take long to read at all!
I don't do re-reads, but I do read anything that Rowling puts out related to Harry Potter because her books are the whole reason I got into reading in the first place!

The book starts out with Professor McGonagall, the queen of the wizarding world (in my eyes)!! It takes us on a short journey touching all the major aspects of her life and shows us why she is who she is as a person. Following is Remus Lupin's small biography and tells of how he struggled with being a werewolf. One of my favorite parts in Rowling's retelling of Lupin's story was how his parents met. It was adorable and sweet and...sigh. So much feeling!!!


In chapter 3 we move onto Sybill Trelawney, the Hogwarts Divination teacher. I really liked her character in the movies and the books because she was super quirky and odd and was grandiose in her "abilities", those are the types of people I'm drawn to in real life. Even if others do find people like that infuriating.

Chapter 4 brings Silvanus Kettleburn. I don't recall hearing about him in any of the books, (granted I haven't re-read them and only read them as they came out), so I've probably forgotten a lot of the characters introduced if they weren't super important to the plot. Silvanus was the Care of Magical Creatures teachers until Hagrid took over in Harry's third year at Hogwarts.
A fact that brought me great joy in reading his part of the book was that even though he wasn't able to help directly in the Battle of Hogwarts due to him only having one arm and half of a leg, he helped in his own way by releasing  his Flobberworms to deal with some of the Deatheaters that passed by.

I enjoyed being let into the lives of some of my favorite characters I met in the books, as well as learning about some new ones and their lives as well as the sacrifices they've had to make throughout their lives. I feel as if everyone in Harry Potter is a distant, yet well-loved family to me.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read these yet but I really need to. I love revisiting the world.

    ReplyDelete