Saturday, October 15, 2016

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas


Title: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 404

Summary from Goodreads:

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.


Thoughts:
My first thought when I started this book was that Celaena did not seem to act as if she were enslaved in a salt mine in Endovier for a year, but from knowing her personality from reading The Assassin's Blade it made perfect send to me that she wouldn't be beat down after only a year of being within the mines. She is too strong-willed and hard-headed to be beaten down that quickly, and even thought I didn't like her personality to begin with, it definitely grew on me the more I read the prequels. Although I do not believe that she is the best role model for YA readers, I do believe that she has parts of her personality that are to be admired, and we find more of these qualities out within this book.

Another thing I really loved about reading the first book of Maas' is the vivid imagery she had constantly going on in my head. There's a part in the book where Chaol Westfall takes Celaena into the library per her request and the way it is described literally made my heart so happy. This is another moment where I began to like Celaena more because her and I share a similar love and awe for books.

"The Captain of the Guard opened the doors reluctantly, the strong muscles of his back shifting as he pushed hard against the worn oak. Compared to the sunlit hallway, the interior that stretched beyond them seemed formidably dark, but as she stepped inside, candelabras came into view, along with black-and-white marble floors, large mahogany tables with red velvet chairs, a slumbering fire, mezzanines, bridges, ladders, railings, and then books-books and books and books.
She'd entered a city made entirely of leather and paper. Celaena put a hand against her heart. Escape routes be damned. "I've never seen-how many volumes are there?" 

I am honestly so happy I finally decided to pick this book up and give it a go. I kept reading and all of the characters grew on me, especially Celaena. After learning a little bit more about her, she doesn't seem as annoying to me as she did at first. I could definitely see her and I being friends if she were real, she is just so kick-ass at everything she does while still managing to be very relatable.

This book is the perfect amount of gory mixed in with intrigue. Something very wicked is going down in the glass castle and Celaena is tasked with finding out why it's happening and how to stop it. all while different forces are working together to keep her from becoming the King's Champion and having a chance at being free.

1 comment:

  1. I'm also glad you gave this book ago. I adore this series. I have not read the newest installment (but I'm dying to) nor The Assassin's Blade, but I will be getting to them soon. In my opinion, this series gets better and better as it goes along.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete