Sunday, September 11, 2016

Book Review || Burning September by Melissa Simonson

Title: Burning September
Author: Melissa Simonson
Pages: 284
Literary Fiction/New AdultAmazon || Goodreads ||

Synopsis from Goodreads
:
Kat’s life is going exactly the way her sister has planned it, until a detective shows up at their front door early one morning and arrests Caroline for murder. 
Suddenly and utterly alone, Kat doesn’t know how to navigate a world without Caroline, the woman who raised her. During the aftermath of the crime, Kat tries to figure out who she is without her sister, but unlocking those doors only leads to more troubling questions. 
Kat realizes the one person she thought would never lie to her had, and quite frequently. Sorting through the skeletons and lies might be more than she can handle, but it's a necessary evil if she ever wants to see her sister acquitted.



My Thoughts:
First off, I want to mention how insanely NICE Melissa is. When she e-mailed me to see if I'd take her book up for review, she was so understanding to the fact that I might not have time so I didn't feel at all pressured to review her book, which is amazing when being approached. I am actually extremely underwhelmed with book requests right now, so I decided to take her up on her offer, and gladly! It sounds amazing, does it not?

The second thing I want to mention is the fact that all of the characters are so drastically different! You can tell they all have their own personalities and they all mix together so well. Kat's sister Caroline (who is also basically considered her mother due to unfortunate circumstances) is so fiery! That's the word that comes to my head when I first started reading this book. Kat is modest about herself on a level that borders on extreme. The men who have recently entered her life are all drastically different as well. My favorite is Professor Lawlis, though. He's grumpy, one legged, and a hell of a music teacher. Rough around the edges, but a good person anyway.

The synopsis of this book makes it seem like it would be a super sad book because she's pining after her sister and missing her and all of that, but in reality I find it actually uplifting because Kat is actually learning who she is and the power she has within herself and I loveeeeeeeeee it. Not to mention the fact that this book included a creepy cat-napper, a big-footed "stripper",  and some swoon-worthy romance.

Honestly I could see this being a movie, so WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE READING THIS BOOK AND MAKING IT HAPPEN? I will rave about this book until the end of my days, I swear. Melissa's writing style and character development skills are on the top-most tier and I haven't read a book this refreshing in a long, long while.

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own.
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment