Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Five Books I'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card

Hello everyone! It's time to do a book meme here on my blog. It's a day late, but it's such a cool prompt that I just going to go ahead and do it anyway. What are rules?!?!?! This meme is hosted by the lovely The Broke and the Bookish blog so make sure you give them a visit if you feel up for it. 

The prompt: Ten Books You'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed You A Fully Loaded Gift Card. I shortened it to 5, though! 

1. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.
                                                    
Synopsis from Amazon
Awe and exhilaration--along with heartbreak and mordant wit--abound in Lolita, Nabokov's most famous and controversial novel, which tells the story of the aging Humbert. Humbert's obsessive, devouring, and doomed passion for the nymphet Dolores Haze. Lolita is also the story of a hyper-civilized European colliding with the cheerful barbarism of postwar America. Most of all, it is a meditation on love--love as outrage and hallucination, madness and transformation.

Why:
I've been obsessed with this movie for the longest time. The 1988 one by Adrian Lynne, not the Kubrick one! I need this one in my possession.




2. School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari
Synopsis from Goodreads
Everyone is afraid of something... 
Madeleine Masterson is deathly afraid of bugs, especially spiders. Theodore Bartholomew is petrified of dying. Lulu Punchalower is scared of confined spaces. Garrison Feldman is terrified of deep water. With very few options left, the parents of these four twelve year-olds send them to the highly elusive and exclusive School of Fear to help them overcome their phobias. But when their peculiar teacher, Mrs. Wellington, and her unconventional teaching methods turn out to be more frightening than even their fears, the foursome realize that this just may be the scariest summer of their lives.

Why:
I've read so many reviews over this book and the word quirky comes up in almost all of them. I absolutely adore quirky books. I've also been known to judge a book by its cover, and it looks so good and it would definitely be an amazing addition to my bookshelf!



3. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Synopsis from Amazon:
"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?"When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.As our heroes face physical and mental trials beyond their wildest imaginations, they have no choice but to turn to each other for support. But with their newfound friendship at stake, will they be able to pass the most important test of all?Welcome to the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Why
:
A book that lets you take tests alongside the children in the book? Sign me up, please! It sounds like such a fun book to read through and has an aspect that a lot of other books don't have. Plus, the cover is astounding!

4. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Synopsis from Amazon:
Taking readers deep into a labyrinth of dark neurosis, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a deliciously unsettling novel about a perverse, isolated, and possibly murderous family and the struggle that ensues when a cousin arrives at their estate.

Why:
I love Shirley Jackson! This book includes a "possible" family full of murderers. Definitely a subject matter that intrigues me.


5. The Sherlock Holmes Handbook by Ransom Riggs
Synopsis from Amazon:
“My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know.” This reader’s companion to the casework of Sherlock Holmes explores the methodology of the world’s most famous consulting detective. From analyzing fingerprints and decoding ciphers to creating disguises and faking one’s own death, readers will learn how Holmes solved his most celebrated cases—plus an arsenal of modern techniques available to today’s armchair sleuths. Along the way, readers will discover a host of trivia about the master detective and his universe: Why did Holmes never marry? How was the real Scotland Yard organized? Was cocaine really legal back then? And why were the British so terrified of Australia? Full of fascinating how-to skills and evocative illustrations, The Sherlock Holmes Handbook will appeal to Baker Street Irregulars of all ages.

Why:
Because I adore Sherlock Holmes of course! It doesn't hurt that Ransom Riggs is an astounding writer. Definitely something I'm going to have to add to my collection at one point in my life.


What books would be on your list?
Reactions:

26 comments:

  1. I may have to see if I can find the ebooks to some of these. Great descriptions on the reasons why you want to read them. They convinced me! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad. I adore when people decide to check out books I've put up on my blog. Makes my day so much better. <3

      Delete
  2. The Shirley Jackson is amazing! I hope you get to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really adore her work.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of any of these before. I've been wanting to read Girl on the Train so I'd start with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that one was good! I got it for review purposes but I'm so swamped I haven't even had a chance to get to it yet!

      Delete
  4. I have not seen these books yet, I will have to look at them as they look like a great 5 books to buy right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so in love with books! I always seem to get more and more before reading the ones I need to finish. Lol!

      Delete
  5. You have a couple of classics and some young adult books on your list; all good reads. Honestly, I read a lot because of my background teaching reading/writing. So, my list is very long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my start very young, but my 8th grade Lit teacher fueled my book fire even more. Teachers are so influential. :)

      Delete
  6. Those are some great book ideas. I love having book gift cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have always lived in a castle looks too good for me. As soon as I finish reading current fiction novel (the immortal of meluha) I will start reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an amazing author. I would love to hear your thoughts on it after you read it. :)

      Delete
  8. These sound like interesting books! If I had a loaded gift card I would head to the store and buy Harry Potter and the Cursed Child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got that one yesterday and let me tell you. It's amazing so far!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I agree! Can't wait to read them. And re-read Lolita!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going to do another one of these after visiting books-a-million the other day?

    ;) wanted everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were just all beautiful and shiny! Lol.

      Delete
  12. I love to read so your suggestions are super helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These books are really interesting and intrigues me at the same time especially the book of The Sherlock Holmes Handbook by Ransom Riggs, I like reading mysteries like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a fun list. I'd want to get the new Harry Potter book. And All the Games of Thrones books that are current out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I would have to get "We have always lived in a castle." It reminds me of one of my favorite games - Gloom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never read any of those, but I been reading books by one author his name is napoleon hill, great post

    ReplyDelete