Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Book Review || The Universe of Us by Lang Leav


Title: The Universe of Us
Author+Lang Leav
Publication: October 4, 2016
Pages: 240

I want to thank +NetGalley for the chance to review this book. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by any outside influences.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Lang Leav presents a completely new collection of poetry with a celestial theme in The Universe of Us.

Planets, stars, and constellations feature prominently in this beautiful, original poetry collection from Lang Leav.  Inspired by the wonders of the universe, the best-selling poetess writes about love and loss, hope and hurt, being lost and found.  Lang's poetry encompasses the breadth of emotions we all experience and evokes universal feelings with her skillfully crafted words.

Thoughts:
Before we start, I'm going to say that this book is already the number 1 best-seller in family poetry on Amazon, before it's even out yet. That is how much faith people have in Leav's work, and for good reason: she has a way of putting the words that have been scrambling around in your head down on paper in the utterly best and most beautiful way that could ever be possible.

The sky or universe has always been referred to when telling someone how much you love them. "I love you to the moon and back." "I love you as big as the sky." "I love you more than there is all of the stars in the universe." The universe is so amazing and jaw-droppingly vast and wonderful, we want to let our significant others know that we think that they are on par with it. This is what Leav is expressing in The Universe of Us.

I have never read another author of poetry who could illicit actual tears from me other than she did within her latest book. I feel emotions so strongly when I'm reading her books that I have to put the book down out of fear for getting tears on the page and smearing the ink or damaging a page to where I can't go back and read the words anymore. I find myself re-reading the poems over and over again if they hit me a certain way. I want to memorize it and refer back to it to let someone know how much they mean to me. I save them in my phone notes so I can show my friends when I see them face to face so they can experience the same emotions I've experienced reading it. There is just something so raw and jagged about the way Leav writes that leaves me sobbing and gripping the book saying "Yes. Someone else has felt what I've felt. I understand. I'm so thankful you do too so I'm not alone anymore."

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've not heard of this poet, so I went to look up some quotes, and was so affected by it! I just bought Love and Misadventures online. :) This one sounds beautiful too - I definitely want to read it. Thank you for your glowing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love & Misadventures is so good! I wrote a post on it awhile back and I'm pretty sure it was just like this one. She just makes me feel so much!
      Thanks for the comment. <3

      Delete