Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Book Review || Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Author(s): J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne
Pages: 328
Buy the book: Amazon, Book Depository, Indie Bound
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.



My thoughts:
So, I will start off with the fact that I've read so many negative reviews over this, and it has absolutely blown my mind. I was just so excited to finally be holding a new book in my hand Harry Potter related I knew I was going to adore it no matter what. What I wouldn't give to see the actual play!

I absolutely loved reading about the characters I grew up with all grown up. Reading about them dealing with decently normal problems for once was perfection. Parenting issues and the everyday struggles of adulthood are great themes in this book. Harry is constantly questioning his parenting abilities, Ginny is still fierce as ever, Ron is hilariously still the dorky red-head we all love, and the "brightest witch of her age" is still the brightest witch of her age, and she's only gotten more intelligent.

I love the fact that this book is a play. It was a relief from reading a normal book with paragraphs and lines just droning on and on. I found it even enjoyable to read it out loud. The book played out so well in my head I could imagine everything perfectly in my head as if I were watching the play itself. I know seeing it in person would be 100% more satisfying, though. 

I can't say much without giving it away, but it does revolve around Albus Severus Potter and Scorpious Malfoy who try their hardest to go back in time to right what they think was wrong, but in doing so, they screwed up so many other things. One thing I know for sure, is that Albus follows in his father's footsteps a lot more than he wanted to. I can see so much of Harry in him and I quickly learned to love his character, and understood why he felt the way he did on some occasions.

I won't even lie, a few of the parts of the book made me want to cry. Only because I got to hear from some old characters that had been killed off. Read this play! You won't regret it one bit.

For HP fans: when did you first get into Harry Potter? Did you go all out with it? Dressing up on midnight releases for the movies? Pre-ordering the books? 

Reactions:

10 comments:

  1. I am not finished yet and I am definitely not a fan of the way it's written (the screenplay style), I like the story itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this over this past weekend. I loved the book and I totally agree, I would also like to see the play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been very curious to read this book since its debut. You did a great job of giving us an idea of what the book is about without giving it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has read all the Harry Potter series. I remember when it first came out and we were in line at the bookstore with tons of people ready to buy it! I'm going to buy her this play version. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading this, as I've been wanting to see what folks really think. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"ll have to ask my son if he might enjoy it. He read that entire book series and this might be interesting because of the connection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have it on my iPad but I have heard such mixed things. I will still read it though

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like Harry Potter fans will enjoy it, like you do. I like the colors they chose for the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep hearing how awesome this book is!!! I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to read a positive review about this book. All the negativity made me scared to read it!

    ReplyDelete