Saturday, August 20, 2016

Book Review || Caraval by Stephanie Garber


Title: Caraval
Author+Stephanie Garber
Pages: 401
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis from Goodreads
:
Before you enter the world of Caraval, you must remember that it’s all a game . . .

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their ruthless father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the legendary, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.

Then, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation to Caraval finally arrives. So, Tella enlists a mysterious sailor’s help to whisk Scarlett away to this year’s show. But as soon as the trio arrives, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nonetheless soon becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with her sister, with Legend, and with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.


Thoughts:
This is one of my top two favorite books that I've read so far this year. I raved so much about it on my bookstagram I think my followers got super tired of me for it. Lol. Not only is the game playing with Scarlett's mind, but it played with mine as well. "Remember that it's all a game." But it's so easy to forget.
There is so much action and drama packed into this book. I judged this book by its cover and I was so happy it lived up to its impact it had on me. The magical way Garber has of writing stole my heart and I don't think I'll be getting it back anytime soon. Can I have the second book now? Even though the first one isn't even out yet? Can I have the movie? I want it all, right now. It's very hard for an author to be able to illicit that sort of craving from me, but Garber managed it.
The way she set up the magical Caraval was amazing, the descriptions were perfection. It all played out in my head so well. I loved the characters, even though at times they were extremely frustrating, as with all the books I've ever read, so that's expected. It makes the story even better it seems like. This book has it all: magic, romance, heartbreak, death, sadness, happiness, mystery, suspense. The list goes on and on.
Reactions:

7 comments:

  1. You have talked me into going and finding this book. I have to find out for myself what the game is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good book. 401 pages full of nothing but amazing-ness. :)

      Delete
  2. You made this book sound so good, I'm going to have to get it! I just finished The Girls and loved it so I need something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one will be out on January 31, 2017. I'm so lucky I got to get an ARC!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to have to check it out! :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this sounds pretty good! I think it interested me when it first came out but I forgot about it, looks like I should try and get my hands on it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome! It's not out yet? I'll have to mark the release on my calendar; this sounds like it'd be a perfect break between my grad school reading assignments!

    ReplyDelete