Friday, August 5, 2016

Book Review || Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris


Title: Behind Closed Doors
Author: B. A. Paris
Rating: 5/5
Trigger Warnings: Mental and emotional abuse, some gore
Want the book? Buy it here.

Synopsis from Amazon:
Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace.
He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do. Though, you’d like to get to know Grace better.But it’s difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart.Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn’t work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows.Sometimes, the perfect marriage is the perfect lie.

My thoughts:
I finished this book two days ago, and it's still in my head because it was such a "wow factor" book. Jack and Grace seem to have the perfect lives. Everyone with a mind knows there's no such thing as perfect. So why did only one person in this book pick up on the fact that something might be wrong with their relationship? If I see a relationship that is way too clingy, my instincts kick in and I automatically wonder if something is wrong or it they're just super in love. Thankfully it's always been the latter.


To say the least, this book made me extremely uncomfortable. I love books that can elicit that sort of emotion in me. The book jumps in between the past and the present that quickly builds up suspense in the most perfect, hand-wringing way. This is the sort of book that makes you say "I need more" and won't let you stop reading it until you've finished the very last line. By the time you get to the end of the book, you'll feel so mentally and emotionally drained you'll have to pick up a happy-go-lucky book just to feel some sort of happiness again.

DISCLAIMER: I received this copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by any factors.



Reactions:

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll give it to you when you get home tonight. :)

      Delete
  2. I love book reviews and this sounds like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, there is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Anyone who pretends to have one is in denial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...this sounds really intriguing! I love books that make me want to keep reading and not put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A girlfriend was just telling me about this book!! I need to pick it up a copy to read sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading new and interesting subjects. This is unique; something I love to read. So thank you for the recommendations. I am looking forward to read it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that my sister would love this book! I'm so glad that you shared it.,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bars on a window is a red flag in that story for sure. Yes, sometimes appearances are deceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with the name alone of this book, I will have to check it out. I really want to start reading more books again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a book to add to my reading list ! Thanks for a good review, I love finding new books

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was actually looking to see if our local library has this book! It sounds really great.

    ReplyDelete