Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Book Review || The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater


Title: The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)
Author+Maggie Stiefvater
Pages: 409
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.


Review:
A couple years ago, I had fallen in love with Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series, so I have zero idea why it took me forever to finally pick up the first book in this series, but I am so happy I finally did. Writing like Stiefvater delivers has been missing from my life for far too long.

One of the reasons why I thoroughly enjoyed this book was because it kept me guessing. I had absolutely no idea where the book was going and the suspense that came along with that was perfect. Stories where I can't predict what's going to happen within the first few chapters are the kind of stories I live for. Before this book, I didn't enjoy mythology at all, let alone Welsh mythology. It was a very new and exciting breath of fresh air for me considering the fact that this is the first book that centers around a topic I haven't read about before.

The second reason I loved this book was because the characters are so lovable. Yes, even Ronan. I even had to roll my eyes a few times at Gansey, and shook my head a few times at Blue. My heart got ripped right out of my chest for Noah. I've never loved a set of characters as I do the characters in this book. Adam has to be my favorite, with Noah a close second.

In this book, there are twists and turns galore, making for the most perfect sense of whiplash in a book I've ever endured. I enjoyed it quite a bit and can't wait until I can start of the second one later on tonight. Stiefvater delivers her stories so well it's hard to pick a favorite author besides her.
 

2 comments:

  1. Kept you guessing? Wow, it has to be good to do that. You can usually call everything that's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Stiefvater is an amazing writer who can easily keep me guessing always. With any book of hers I read.

      Delete