Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Review || My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix


DISCLAIMER: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own.

Title: My Best Friend's Exorcism
Author: Grady Hendrix
Publisher: Quirk Books
Pages: 336

Synopsis from Amazon:
A heartwarming story of friendship and demonic possession. The year is 1988. High school sophomores Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fourth grade. But after an evening of skinny-dipping goes disastrously wrong, Gretchen begins to act…different. She’s moody. She’s irritable. And bizarre incidents keep happening whenever she’s nearby. Abby’s investigation leads her to some startling discoveries—and by the time their story reaches its terrifying conclusion, the fate of Abby and Gretchen will be determined by a single question: Is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil? Like an unholy hybrid of Beaches and The ExorcistMy Best Friend’s Exorcism blends teen angst, adolescent drama, unspeakable horrors, and a mix of ’80s pop songs into a pulse-pounding supernatural thriller.

Review:
This is the first book I have read from Hendrix, but I remember wanting to read Horrorstor something awful! I'm so glad I had the chance to read this book, as I was not let down in the slightest. I might have a new favorite horror writer!
A few of the things I absolutely loved about this story is the fact that all of the chapters are titles of 80's songs and that it stays true to the fact that high school really can be the most horrible times in someones life. You're forced to watch your friends you've had since elementary school grow up and transform right before your eyes and you're behind them clutching with grabby hands trying to get them to come back to you.
Another thing I liked about this story is the fact that there are a few parts of it that actually made me squirm in my seat. No spoilers, but if the idea of a huge amount of tapeworm coming up out of your throat doesn't make you sick to your stomach I don't know what will!

2 comments: