Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Review || The Kingdom of Oceana by Mitchell Charles

 

DISLAIMER: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own.

Title: The Kingdom of Oceana
Author: Mitchell Charles
Publisher: Butterhorse Media
Pages: 222
Want to buy the book? Go here.

Synopsis:Surfer. Shark tamer. Fire walker. Explorer. Teenager. Hero. Five centuries ago, on the island now called Hawaii, there was a kingdom filled with adventure, beauty, and magic. When 16-year-old Prince Ailani and his brother Nahoa trespass on a forbidden burial ground and uncover an ancient tiki mask, they unleash a thousand-year-old curse that threatens to erupt-just like Mauna Kea, the towering volcano.
With the help of his ancestral spirit animals, his shape shifting sidekick, and a beautiful princess, Prince Ailani must overcome his own insecurities, a lifetime of sibling rivalry, and a plague of cursed sea creatures brought forth by the tiki's spell.
Can peace be restored to the kingdom? Can Prince Ailani claim his rightful place as the future king of Oceana? Only one can rule.

Review:
I was so excited when I opened this book and saw that it was autographed! I really love books based in Hawaii, or any books in genera that deal with islands or that are ocean themed. They really get me away from my small hometown surrounded by nothing but cornfields. For someone not really familiar with Hawaiian terms, Mitchell Charles has woven them into the book and included footnotes at the bottom of the pages that explained what the words meant.

I instantly fell in love with the exotic aspects, along with the magical elements. It's an extremely fun book to read, along with some great lessons learned. All of the characters were well thought out. I especially disliked the mother and Nahoa, and I love books that can illicit negative emotions in me as well as positive ones. They make for an amazing story. I feel like this is a book everyone throughout middle school and up should read because it is just that good.

Mitchell Charles intricately weaves together magic, myths, issues about the environment, sibling rivalry, and neglect. I will definitely be reading future books written by him.

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment