Wednesday, March 23, 2016

These Mean Streets, Darkly by Austin Dragon || Review

Title: These Mean Streets, Darkly
Author+Austin Dragon
Pages: 62
Version: Kindle
Get the free book here.

Synopsis from Amazon:
It's a world of colossal skyscrapers. Hover-cars fly above in the dark, rainy skies and gray people walk below on the grimy, hard streets in the "Neon Jungle." Uber-governments and mega-corporations fight for control of the super-city, but so does crime.

An average woman, Carol, who is hard-working and decent in every way, loses her daughter to the psycho Red Rabbit. Can Police Central find the girl in time alive? And is it really a random, senseless kidnapping in the fifty-million-plus city?

There are a million victims and perpetrators in this High-Tech, Low-Life world. This is one of those stories...before we meet our private eye (and unlikely hero), Cruz, in the debut novel, Liquid Cool!

Review:
This is the first cyberpunk "book" I have ever read, and I was not disappointed at all. I say "book" because it is actually a prequel to a book called Liquid Cool, which you can get here. I am super excited to start that book next. Before I get to the actual book review, I want to comment on how amazing the writing is. Austin's ability to get inside your mind with his writing is a big reason on why I decided to write this book review in the first place. I love writers who can set up a whole new world inside your head and make you feel what the characters are feeling. I've read books with extremely flat worlds, so it's amazing when I can jump into one without even trying.

This story does an amazing job at setting up the world for the actual novel. We meet a lot of characters who are going to be important and see how the story got its start. It's a short read, considering it's a prequel, but it is jam-packed with the knowledge you'll need to read the next book, action, gore, a heart-breaking scenario that is a parent's worst nightmare, and all around bad-ass characters that will make you want more from them. The book ends in a cliff-hanger that made me want to jump right into the next book, but I have a few to read and review before their release dates, so I have to hold off. *deep sigh*.

I'm very happy that this was my first cyberpunk book that I've read, because before I had so many qualms against the genre that I steered extremely clear of it, but now I don't see why at all. I'm glad I gave it a chance, and I'm really glad I found out about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment