Monday, March 7, 2016

REVIEW: A Stalled Ox by Dean Moses

A good book and a hot bath.
Perfect for relaxation!

DISCLAIMER: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own.

Title:
A Stalled Ox
Author: +Dean Moses 
Pages: 120
Publisher: Black Hill Press
Release date: November 11, 2015.

Review:
The unthinkable has happened. In a world where meat is non-existent, people have turned to religion to help save them from what they believe to be the end of the world. Agent Howard and his partner Linda to go undercover to a compound where a man who calls himself by the name of "God" is claiming he has found a way to serve his followers meat.

In such a short novella, Agent Howard, Linda, and "God" are well-thought out characters. Linda and "God" have background stories that are summed up in a few paragraphs and they are told perfectly. "God" is a very calculating character, and has so much more inside of him than what is presented in the story. He is cold, unpredictable, yet even I was drawn in by him. His story comes with a ton of surprises as well. This novella has horror, passion, and exciting turns of events you'll be captivated by. By the end, you'll be left with questions and wanting even more.

This book is perfect for readers who like shorter novels, but still appreciate amazing writing. The fact that this is a novella doesn't mean it doesn't pack the punch a longer book does. I found myself flinching at the gore found within its 120 pages and was scared numb by the imagery Moses formed inside my mind with his writing.
Reactions:

32 comments:

  1. Great summary!

    This book is perfect for readers who like shorter novels, but still appreciate amazing writing. The fact that this is a novella doesn't mean it doesn't pack the punch a longer book does. I found myself flinching at the gore found within its 120 pages and was scared numb by the imagery Moses formed inside my mind with his writing.

    Loved that. Will check it out!
    xo
    Krista
    www.hundredblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great read. I can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds like a book I would love! Next on my to read list now
    x Manon
    www.simplymanon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the new book recommend ! And a book and bath is heaven to me !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review and book recommendation! I always love to check out what other people are reading and to get new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A short book is what I need. Maybe I might just start reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds very interesting. I like to keep a nice 'one sitting' novel in my purse for waiting rooms. I think I'll get a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like short books as I never seem to have time to read longer ones! Must check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! I just started selling Non-toxic Face Paint Kits on Amazon so I may send you a kit and have you do an honest review as well. You can check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0160CCO4Q?keywords=face%20paint&qid=1457377144&ref_=sr_1_101&sr=8-101

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! Just get in contact with me and I'd be more than happy to. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh wow now that is a religious narrative I did not expect! I will have a read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always on the search for good quick reads. I was really into flash fiction for a while because it had to be short and well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so controversial and I am very curious as to what happens next. This is a very interesting story, I can't imagine a world without meat and I'd love to see how it all rolls out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sound interesting. Like short well written books. I can image a world with out meat odd as it seem it can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hm, it sounds very interesting. Especially with the whole god/cult thing. I can see myself either really liking this book or hating it haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds a great read. Liking this book! I will check this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love short novels, this one seems me so inspiring and interesting! I will check it! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I appreciate you mentioning the gore factor. I'm not a fan of that but won't be reading but appreciate the truth so I don't get disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like short novel reading it keeps me on the upbeat the mood and couldn't let go of the story. I like suspense and thrill when it comes to suspense stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I do love a short novella, especially when the story is well written. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It sounds like an interesting book - usually I don't go for short novels but they're perfect for trips, so I'll keep that one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Short novels are perfect for me. I have such a bad attention span and a stack full of thick books to get through. This is ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is very interesting. I will try to check this one out. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's always good to have a great book and a hot bath to look forward to at the end of the day, in our case, a cold shower since we live near the equator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohm interesting. I wonder if we have this in our local bookstore
    Thanks for sharing. I'll show this to my friends who are boo-lovers

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love a good read. I'll have to check this out because I'm almost finished with my current book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a great book to give my sister. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You totally captured my interest with how you described the book. I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a great book. I like that it's short. Perfect for a sunday by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I LOVE reading short book too so I can finish it very quickly. I will check this out as I am a bookworm myself.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great, simple review. Does not sound like something I would read but it looks like a great read for persons who enjoy this kind of reading

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh I think I could like short novels as some books do put me off as I like to take one when I travel

    ReplyDelete