Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Pocket Wife by Susan Crawford: Book Review


Title: The Pocket Wife
Author+Susan Crawford
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks
Pages: 320
Rating: 5/5
Buy the book: Amazon

Synopsis from Amazon:

Dana Catrell is shocked when her neighbor Celia is brutally murdered. To Dana’s horror, she was the last person to see Celia alive. Suffering from mania, the result of her bipolar disorder, she has troubling holes in her memory, including what happened on the afternoon of Celia’s death.
Her husband’s odd behavior and the probing of Detective Jack Moss create further complications as she searches for answers. The closer she comes to piecing together the shards of her broken memory, the more Dana falls apart. Is there a murderer lurking inside her . . . or is there one out there in the shadows of reality, waiting to strike again?
A story of marriage, murder, and madness, The Pocket Wife explores the world through the foggy lens of a woman on the edge.
Review:
Crawford is a master of suspense, I swear! My heart was racing and I slowly felt myself slipping into the role of Dana myself. I understand and felt her growing fear that her bi-polar disorder was slowly taking over her life again, and I was right there with her. My heart was beating every time Dana went off on a tangent or her mind started racing because mine did right along with hers. The point of view is mostly through Dana's eyes but Jack, the investigator of Dana's neighbor Celia's murder is also someone who is narrating the other half of the book. Battling his inner demons, he has his suspicions on everyone, including the person you'd least expect.

All throughout the book it held my attention. And the end of the book was a big surprise to me. I loved every bit of it and I'm definitely buying any other work she decides to publish! 

5 comments:

  1. Is Dana is bipolar? I don't see many books that deal with mental illnesses. Sounds like a good one to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The three M's. Murder mystery madness

    ReplyDelete
  3. This almost reminds me of Gone Girl. Sounds like an intense but interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Love it already! Thank you for the review! I need to check this one out. If it is anything like Gone Girl, I might be hooked to this writer too. :)

    ReplyDelete