Saturday, February 6, 2016

Eleanor by Jason Gurley: Book Review

Title: Eleanor
Author: Jason Gurley
Publisher: Crown
Pages: 384
Rating: 100/5
Buy the book: Amazon

DISLAIMER: I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by the Blogging for Books company.


Synopsis from Amazon:
Eleanor and Esmerelda are identical twins with a secret language all their own, inseparable until a terrible accident claims Esme’s life. Eleanor’s family is left in tatters: her mother retreats inward, seeking comfort in bottles; her father reluctantly abandons ship. Eleanor is forced to grow up more quickly than a child should, and becomes the target of her mother’s growing rage.
 
Years pass, and Eleanor’s painful reality begins to unravel in strange ways. The first time it happens, she walks through a school doorway, and finds herself in a cornfield, beneath wide blue skies. When she stumbles back into her own world, time has flown by without her. Again and again, against her will, she falls out of her world and into other, stranger ones, leaving behind empty rooms and worried loved ones. 
 
One fateful day, Eleanor leaps from a cliff and is torn from her world altogether. She meets a mysterious stranger, Mea, who reveals to Eleanor the weight of her family’s loss. To save her broken parents, and rescue herself, Eleanor must learn how deep the well of her mother’s grief and her father’s heartbreak truly goes. Esmerelda’s death was not the only tragic loss in her family’s fragmented history, and unless Eleanor can master her strange new abilities, it may not be the last.

My thoughts:
I was definitely NOT ready for this book. It's the 6th of February and I've already read the best book that could have been released this year in my opinion. I love every bit of this book. It's taken place of my old favorite book and I never thought that would happen. It made me cry, surprised me, and angered me. I grieved throughout this whole book along with three generations of women. I'm normally not very big on sci-fi/fantasy books, but this book has changed my mind completely.

I loved the fact that every one of the characters are so well developed. I felt like I knew and understood them within a few pages so it didn't drag the book out focusing only on one person in general and let the plot develop in a timely manner.

I had my ideas about who was who immediately when I met certain characters, but in my opinion it made the book that much more interesting to read to find out how and why the characters got to the point they were at.

This book is extremely complex, but put together in an easy-to-read manner while exploring deep taboo issues that most people don't want to admit or talk about.

I will be recommending this book to everyone I come in contact with. 

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful book!
    I can relate to the story. I have a twin sister and she means the world to me. If something terrible happens to her, I'm sure I'd lose my mind. It's just to painful even to imagine such thing. I'll try to read this book, for sure!!!

    Noor | Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A twin? That's awesome! I have two sisters and if anything happened to them I would be devastated!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds like a great quick read. I lost a sister and it is a pain unlike any other. At times I am unsure I will survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a medium length book, about 300 something pages but I soared right through it!
      I'm so sorry about your loss, I have no idea what I would do without both of my sisters. A sisterly bond is something that very few things can sever, and when it's out of your hands I can't even imagine how that feels.

      Delete
  3. I want to read this book! Love your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. That means a lot to me hearing that from my readers. :)

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen this book, but your review certainly caught my attention. Obviously this book made an impact on you. I will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it definitely did. I'm still thinking about it.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen this book before sounds like a great book

    ReplyDelete
  7. This books sounds like something I would totally read! Great review. Thanks for sharing!

    www.writingmotherfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This books sounds like something I would totally read! Great review. Thanks for sharing!

    www.writingmotherfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds fascinating!! I'm always looking for new books to read and this sounds great. I'll definitely be adding it to my list. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds really good but would probably have me in tears. I grew up with twin boys and one of them was accidently shot by their older brother and the one who lived was never the same after. Thanks or the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'VE HEARD ABOUT ELEANOR! So many rave reviews!
    I still need to go pick it up (curse you, "read your shelf before you buy more books"). I'm actually jealous you got to read it aha.

    Christie's Take on Life. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'VE HEARD ABOUT ELEANOR! So many rave reviews!
    I still need to go pick it up (curse you, "read your shelf before you buy more books"). I'm actually jealous you got to read it aha.

    Christie's Take on Life. x

    ReplyDelete