Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Blushing by Paul B. Janeczko

  


TitleBlushing: Expressions of Love in Poems And Letters
Author+Paul B. Janeczko
Pages: 112
Star rating: 4/5

Synopsis from Amazon:
The thumping of your heart in your chest. A pit in your stomach. A blush. These are the symptoms of love sickness, and if you've ever experienced them, this book is for you.
Critically acclaimed poet and anthologist, Paul Janeczko has turned his attention to a new compilation of love poems for teens that collects the most poignant and moving musings about love from a diverse group of classic poets and writers like Shakespeare, Dickinson, Whitman, Millay, Angelou, and many more.
This is a book girls will carry 
with them always.They will dog-ear the pages, pass it to friends, sleep with it. And they will go back to it again and again and find in it the drama, the pain, the joy of loving.
My thoughts:
Poetry is hit and miss for me. I love some, and completely loathe others. This collection of poetry and letters compiled by Janeczko is a book that I fell in love with. I broke out my gel-highlighters and got to work. By the time I got to the end there are in all 8 dog-eared pages with my favorite poems highlighted. Some of the poems I read were poems I had already heard of, but a lot of the poems were new which I'm very thankful for because I didn't want to be reading a book of all poems I had read before.
I quite enjoyed a lot of the poems contained within this book. I didn't outright dislike any of them, but some of them felt too outdated for me, so I liked those less than the other poems. I also like the fact that this book not only focuses on the joys of falling in love, but also the feelings associated with the downsides to love.

Favorite poem in the book:

First Love - John Clare

"I never saw so sweet a face
as that I stood before.

My heart has left its dwelling place
and can return no more."
Reactions:

24 comments:

  1. This has me wanting to read the book.I went and checked it out and put it on my wishlist.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks so much for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved poetry when I was a teenager, but these days I would rather read a book with a storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fantastic book. I can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my eyes on the book and read. i will find time for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that short poem. It amazes me the creativity people have. I haven't read poetry in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love poetry and even wrote my blog post today around a favorite poem, which isn't something I've done before. I agree with you that it's hit or miss. Some poems I simply don't "get" and others, like the one you shared, are very simple and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know it is a good book by the number of dog-eared pages and highlighted sections!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good read. And definitely something that would interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too Love this book! such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way you do about poetry. Sometimes it's great and sometimes...not so much. This sounds fantastic though, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really good and I loved the excerpt you included. I enjoy poetry a lot, but I haven't read any lately. I will definitely have to check this one out.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the same when it comes to poetry I think I get it more when it rhymes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poetry can be hard for me to read, even though it's fairly fun to write. But this book actually sounds pretty good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love poems but it depends on the author, I want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good but not my preferred genre.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to love poems when I was in high school. I would write my own too. These days, I just turn to books like these. Poems have that power to make you feel better, don't they? Especially the ones about love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to be poetic back in college days, and I kind of miss it! I'll check it out.
    www.gregdemcydias.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find poetry hit and miss for me as well, sometimes I absolutely love it but sometimes I just can't get into it. This does sound like lovely poetry though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love poetry...always in awe of persons who can put words together like that

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree, some poetry is just sappy or so "deep" you get lost in what the poet (or so-called poet) is trying to say. Other poems are well-written and really speak to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I struggle with poetry. I just do not think I am creative enough!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not much of a poetry person either, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete