Thursday, December 3, 2015

You Can't Leave Me Now: Three Stories of True Crime

Name: You Can't Leave Me Now: Three Stories of True Crime
Author: Laura McNeal
Publisher: San Diego Reader
Pages: 240
Rating: 5/5
Buy the book: Amazon

Disclaimer: I got this book for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions within are of my own and are not swayed by the people who have gifted me this book.

Synopsis from Amazon:

The victims in these gripping stories by Laura McNeal have one terrifying thing in common: all are betrayed by people they trust.  
In The Death of Judy Huscher, a 12-year-old girl is awakened in the night by her mother, who offers her a cup of hot chocolate.  
In The Last Meeting of the Dove Club, two friends stay for dinner even though their host is dangerously drunk. 
In The Toothpicks, a member of a Mexican drug cartel introduces his unsuspecting friend to the pretty girl who will lead him to a San Diego rental house stocked with guns, rope, and muriatic acid. 
In scene after harrowing scene, McNeal recounts every extraordinary detail of these unforgettable crimes, their prosecution, and aftermath, reminding us that in life, as in fiction, all is not as it appears.
My review:
I'm a crime fanatic, so when this book was sent to me, I was ecstatic! Whether it be fake crime or true, I am addicted. The first story was rather sad, and takes you back to a time where things were done a lot different and poisons were available to buy any time you felt the need to poison your daughter. The second story took you back even farther to three generations in a man's family, and ended with a bang. Literally. The third story was my favorite! Drug cartels are so much fun to read about, and the way they do things is so gritty and disturbing, I have zero idea why I love reading about them so much.
McNeal has a way of writing facts that makes you think you're reading a story instead of actual history you normally need out of non-fiction. I was sucked in from the second I opened the book to the very last page. She has a way of putting images in your head and makes you want to keep reading until the very end. Thanks so much for letting me read this, Laura! 
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment