Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Silent Wife + Update!

It's been awhile since I've posted, and that's due to me mostly sleeping my days away, preparing and doing finals for the end of this semester in college, and binge watching Scream Queens. I hate and love that show with a passion. Anyway! Hopefully things get back to normal soon. This weather has me feeling a little down as always during the last few months of the year, but I'm sure I'll snap out of it! Thanks for continuing to read my reviews and giving me something to look forward to when I log onto the computer.  

Name: The Silent Wife
Author: A.S.A. Harrison
Publisher+Penguin Books USA
Pages: 326
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis from Amazon:
Jodi and Todd are at a bad place in their marriage. Much is at stake, including the affluent life they lead in their beautiful waterfront condo in Chicago, as she, the killer, and he, the victim, rush haplessly toward the main event. He is a committed cheater. She lives and breathes denial. He exists in dual worlds. She likes to settle scores. He decides to play for keeps. She has nothing left to lose. Told in alternating voices, The Silent Wife is about a marriage in the throes of dissolution, a couple headed for catastrophe, concessions that can’t be made, and promises that won’t be kept. Expertly plotted and reminiscent of Gone Girl and These Things HiddenThe Silent Wife ensnares the reader from page one and does not let go.

My Review:
I really dislike books that deal with infidelity within a relationship. I can read about grisly murder or murder scene without batting an eye, but when it comes to someone cheating on someone they've sworn to love I start squirming and it throws me off balance for a little while mentally. I don't know what it is that makes my skin crawl so much, but I know this subject matter can illicit anger in me unlike any other. 
I'm only giving this book a 3 out of 5 because I had to keep putting it down. It was making me so angry I couldn't read it straight through no matter how much I wanted to. Jodi's compliance and willingness to avoid any sort of confrontation was annoying at most, but I can say the way things ended up made it all that much better for me. You have no idea how I sat there after the big finale and laughed because it seems exactly like something I would want to happen if I were in that sort of situation. (I know! I'm so crazy, right?)
I have to congratulate Harrison on her amazing writing, as well as her ability to illicit the kind of emotion I had reading The Silent Wife. I've only read maybe one or two books that this has happened to me, and neither one of those I have finished yet. I'll definitely be reading others from her.
Reactions:

10 comments:

  1. It takes a great writer to evoke such strong emotions out of their readers.
    I personally hate reading about affairs myself, but I find that I still can't put it down if it's a good read, despite the subject matter.

    Christie's Take on Life. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my reading list for a while now! I've heard mixed reviews on it. I may have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's rare to find a book that brings out that much emotion. Even though you rated it only a 3/5 I might still have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds super depressing. I hate cheating books too, but when they are well written sometimes they are hard to put down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I hate cheating books, one time I was reading a book where the husband was cheating and I was seriously depressed about it like I was in the situation. My poor husband though I was crazy. It takes a good writer to do that to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I HATE CHEATING BOOKS and this seems depressing, but great, honest review, so cheers to that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I am not a fan of books about infidelity but thanks for your candor and the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this sounds like a good book. Think I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for giving such an honest review and sharing that part of the reason you didn't like it was because of the storyline's values and not the author's capabilities as a writer. So often people review with a personal biased but don't disclose. Great way to write a review. I may have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally 100% agree! I have the hardest time reading books about infidelity! I'll have to see if I can muster up the ump to read this bad boy. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete