Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Space Between Trees


Title: The Space Between Trees
Author+Katie Williams
Publisher+Chronicle Books
Pages: 280

Synopsis from Amazon:
Not your everyday coming-of-age novel.
This story was supposed to be about Eviehow she hasn't made a friend in years, how she tends to stretch the truth (especially about her so-called relationship with college drop-out Jonah Luks), and how she finally comes into her own once she learns to just be herselfbut it isn't. Because when her classmate Elizabeth "Zabet" McCabe's murdered body is found in the woods, everything changesand Evie's life is never the same again.

Review:
I was sent this book for review reasons, even though it released in June 2010, which I hadn't known about. Oops. Props to either +Katie Williams or her publisher for sending me the copy, though! All opinions addressed herein are of my own regardless of who sent me the book. I receive no monetary gain from this, just a book in exchange for an honest review.

I fell head over heels in love with the cover of this book when I got it. It's laser cut on the front cover and it shows the words in between the spaces. It's such a creative cover! When I first picked it up, I felt as if I had read it before, and I had, but only the first 30+ pages. Then I stopped. Probably because it took at least 60+ for me to get all the way into it, but after that I couldn't stop. I needed to get to the end. Williams has a way of writing that grows with the protagonist of the story as it moves along. You can just tell when the innocence of Evie snaps and she's no longer shielded from the world anymore.

I had a slight problem with Evie. I don't remember ever being as gushy over someone as she was when I was 16 years old. Over time, though, that problem faded because I felt the change in her throughout the story and I didn't mind her earlier gushing over the lovable Jonah Luks.
Who I did have a very big issue with was Hadley. UGH. I wanted to punch her in the face so much. She is so manipulative, and crazy, and out of control. You'll see if you read this book. She might just be my least favorite character I've ever read about. I can see exactly why she had such a strong hold on Evie, though. She's just that good at being bad.

If I could describe this story in three words, I would use the words riveting, eerie, and gripping. I'd put annoying as well but that's only because I wanted to strangle Hadley the whole time I read about her. I had to force myself to not roll my eyes every time I heard her name. I love the fact that Williams made a character that could elicit that much emotion in me, because it's very hard to do normally.

The story is amazing, and one I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a coming-of-age story but also one with a mystery twist on it with a twist at the end.

Link to buy the book:
Amazon
Reactions:

23 comments:

  1. Great review! You're right, the cover is pretty awesome. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't read coming of age books. but I like the book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to smile at the section about not being so forward at 16....but that is the world we live in these days. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like it's got all the elements I enjoy in a novel, thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely appreciate an honest review. I wonder why it took so long to send it to yuo.
    http://carolcassara.com/how-to-be-a-good-friend/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just contacted them about it this month, but they sent it anyway! Lol. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing this review! It's a good reminder that I need to turn off the computer and read for pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! :) I'm always reading. Constantly. Lol

      Delete
  7. I am going to have to read this. I love coming of age novels. I am working very hard to take the time to read more. I used to read at least an hour a day but now I don't make the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. Might take a few pages to get into, but you'll like it. :)

      Delete
  8. I've read books with characters I wanted to physically harm too. So I completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! This was definitely a first for me. :p

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing the review - love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The power of a great writer is being able to extrude emotion out of it's readers! I love your honest review! From the sound of it, it seems like it would be an awesome book! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fact that it's a mystery AND a coming of age book. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the sharing the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review - the fact that the writer pulled genuine emotion (even if that emotion was annoyance) out of you means he must truly be a great writer. I'd love to give this one a read, sounds like it contains everything I enjoy in a novel.

    Christie's Take on Life. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! Its both fun and annoying when an author elicits that much emotion from one character. Ha Makes me nervous to read it because I don't want to get punchy. ;) jk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! The synopsis sounds really interesting.

    Best Wishes,
    Allison Jones | www.LiveLifeWellBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great book! I love to hate characters like Hadley! Thanks for sharing and that cover sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete