Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How Books Made Me a Better Person




I remember being in the middle of Wal-Mart with my dad and walking into the book aisle. I can't remember if he picked the book out for me, or if I picked it out, but I know that was the beginning of my reading career. It was a small cardboard book filled with photos of many things but what I most remember were the body parts and names, as well as the types of things people drive, (like tractors, cars, trucks). After I grew up, the book disappeared for a little while, but when I grew up a little more dad gave it back to me taped with aged duct tape. That little book has been through so much. I still love it to death and it's one of my most prized possessions, next to my son's things and a water bottle (I'll save that for another story).


Anyway! Onto the actual point of this post. There are a ton of benefits to reading. Anything! Even if you read shampoo bottles while you're sitting on the potty you're bound to come across some ingredients you don't know, and maybe that'll pique your interest and you'll look into them, which brings me to my first point.

1. Books make you want to learn more.


Or at least they do for me. When I read a challenging book, (*ahem* House of Leaves *ahem*), it forces me to look up words I don't know, phrases in different languages, people the book I'm reading is referencing. I adore books that make me question things, and my thirst for knowledge is never-ending.


2. Book enhance your vocabulary.

Yup. You heard that right. I never once struggled in school with spelling or knowing the meaning of bigger words because my parents exposed me to books and reading at a very young age. Spelling and the meaning of words came as second nature to me, and it's helped me a lot over the years, through school in general as well as helping my grandma and mom with things they don't know how to spell or words they don't know the meaning of.


3. You're doing something good for your brain and body.

According to this website doing challenging things can potentially prevent or slow down the onset of  Alzheimer's disease. By exercising your mind, you're working your brain matter and in turn massively benefiting your mental health. Not only is reading good for Alzheimer's disease, but it's also a great stress reliever. Sitting down in a bubble bath that smell good and a great book for 45 minutes to an hour will dramatically decrease your stress levels. I recommend doing this at least 3 times a week in order to let your body and mind have a break while still keeping the mind sharp in the meantime. And last but not least, reading can help you wind down. Reading an hour or so before bed, (a light read) can possibly help you sleep better. As opposed to social median on your phone or watching TV and other stimulating things.


These are just three things out of the many benefits that reading a novel can help you be a better person mentally. Whether it helps you relax, ward off negative energy or illness, or just to help you seem more academically oriented, I think we can all agree that reading every day has many positive qualities.

What other things do you think reading can do for you? Were you a parent who started your children young on reading? Do you see a difference between children who don't read and children who do read? Tell me your thoughts below!


Thank you so much for reading!
Cheers,
Sabrina.

Reactions:

7 comments:

  1. I love reading, and I read everything! Even labels while I'm in the potty ;) We homeschool and one of my biggest goals is to give my kids great vocabularies. You never know when you'll need one of those tricky words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read everything I can get my hands on as well! I do the same exact thing if I forget to grab a book on my way to the bathroom. Lol! If children start early they'll have HUGE vocabularies. It's so wonderful. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I have been an avid reader my whole life. I wanted to learn to read more than anything when I was five so I did. I haven't stopped. I have always read, and I am teaching my kids to be readers as well. My daughter is in first grade, I am constantly challenging and pushing her to read, I have reading at a second grade level already, and I intend to push further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have as well! I can't remember really wanting to learn to read, I just know I had a thirst for books in my hand and needed more and more. I'm so glad you're teaching your children to read. It's such a great thing to start them out early, and it's very rare I see parents doing that.

      Delete
  3. I have been an avid reader for as long as i can remember. When I was a teenager, well all the way up until I got married and moved out, most evenings were spent with my parents - all 3 of us reading. I love that they passed on their love of reading to me. It's an escape from life, a way to travel when you can't afford to and lessons you can learn without making the mistakes yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Those sound like they were lovely evenings. :) I also think of reading as an escape.

      Delete
  4. Books have made me who I am! I love love love reading and am always excited to connect with another passionate reader! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete