Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fablehaven Book 1 Review


I had an urge to dive back into the world of children's chapter books one day, and I'm not ashamed I did at all! It seems like books for the older audiences lack a certain amount of imagination inducing words that children books have.

The Synopsis:
For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite.

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken -- Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good -- powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most.

The Review:
I loved this book, and I'm so excited to read the four others in the series! These books are perfect for children ages 9 and up but only IF you've covered the concept of death since it explains their grandparent's death in a rather morbid fashion. It might not be for children who are easily scared considering the vivid imagery puts pictures in your head without trying. I had the thought throughout the whole book that there should definitely be a movie made, and to my surprise I was excited to see that there will be in the future! I encourage you to check this book out. :)

Do you guys still read children's chapter books? Do you think as we get older we should stop reading them? Is this a movie you'd like to see? Is it a book you'd read to your children or let them read themselves?
Reactions:

18 comments:

  1. "Do you think as we get older we should stop reading them?" Nope, people should feel free to read what they want! Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I feel as if my imagination has been slowly declining as I've grown older, but this book triggered it! I imagined every little bit of this book perfectly as if I were living in it.

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Great review. I haven't read a children's chapter book in years! I used to love these kind of books in my youth, it'd be interesting to see how I feel about them now..Ah sweet nostalgia.

    Christie's Take on Life. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd love them! I had so much fun reading this one. :)

      Delete
  3. I love learning about new books and this one looks really great! I think my daughter might like it too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Keep me updated if you and your daughter do read it! :)

      Delete
  4. I remember my students reading this in class! Looks like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly think that everyone should read what inspires them and, well, simply works for them. Sometimes reading a children's book makes you feel connected with that young part of yourself that you thought was lost but, in truth, is still inside of you. Keep reading whatever makes you feel good, and this title certainly sounds fascinating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice! I love re-connecting with my inner child. Puts my imagination to work!

      Delete
  6. I love how much people are reading books I wouldn't have thought to read! It pushes me outside my comfort zone and helps me realize, yeah, why shouldn't I read a book if it's technically a kid's book? If it's good, it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That was my thought-process going into this book and over the course of just two chapters I fell in love with this series. :)

      Delete
  7. Loved this book!!! And embrace your love of YA!! The authors are more creative and less dark than some of their adult writing counterparts. :D

    This book was a ton of fun. That reminds me that I need to read the second one! I got distracted. lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Terra Chandler from the Blogging Boost FB group. I used Google + and verified, but it still posted me as anonymous. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, you should definitely read the other ones! I fell absolutely in love. :)

      Delete
  8. I would love to read this but I seriously can't find any time to read these days :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do that every so often too. Sometimes it is so nice to have that creativity and imagination flared by the simple nature of a children's book.:)

    ReplyDelete