Sunday, November 8, 2015

Animals in Books: November Discussion Challenge!

Thanks to Feed Your Fiction Addictions for this one!

Okay, I admittedly haven't read about too many animals in books. Some of my favorites, though, were introduced in Harry Potter. I was, and still am a huge Harry Potter fan. Those books as well as +Lemony Snicket shaped me into who I am as a bookworm today. Thank you Daniel Handler and J.K. Rowling!

Moving on, I absolutely adored Hedwig in the series. The way she (he in the movies) was always there for Harry made me a bit teary eyes to be honest with you all. I have a big heart for animals, especially ones that would do anything for their loved ones. I remember being a bit addicted to getting my hands on any and every book I could about owls, especially snow owls because I loved them so much. I have yet to see one in person, though. Besides the ones that are always in cages at local fairs. It makes me sad to see, those. Their eyes look like they've been so betrayed. :(


Another animal I loved in Harry Potter was Crookshanks. Moody, intelligent Crookshanks. Perfect for Hermione Granger! To quote Sirius, "He's the most intelligent of his kind I've ever met." Who doesn't love a huge cat with a lion-like resemblance?


Those two are really the only animals I absolutely fell head over heels in love with within the books I've read so far! They're definitely lovable aren't they? Crookshanks might take awhile to warm up to, but cats have big personalities!
Reactions:

10 comments:

  1. Diana Wynne Jones writes some great animal characters. There are the cats in The Magicians of Caprona, the dog star Sirius in Dogsbody, and magically engineered griffins in Dark Lord of Derkholm and The Year of the Griffin, among others. If you like Harry Potter, you might want to give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations! After I get home I'm going to read up on them. :)

      Delete
  2. Hedwig and Crookshanks was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both very awesome animal characters, with great personalities and importance. I like when books include animals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do as well! Especially if they've given personalities. :)

      Delete
  4. (deleted my own comment! okay let me start again)
    I like companion animals in books, but not if they die. I HATE that. Hedwig and Crookshanks are perfect examples of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I don't think it ever actually said Crookshanks died! I'm holding out hope. Lol

      Delete
  5. I loved Hedwig too! Her death was heartbreaking both in the book and the movie, but I felt it was more fitting in the movie - the way she came back to protect Harry rather than dying in her cage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I remember sitting there with tears rolling down my face!

      Delete
  6. I loved Hedwig, too! Crookshanks I never did QUITE warm up to, but that's okay. I'm a sucker for animals in books in general (which is why I thought of this topic!).

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete