Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Angels Burning by Tawni O'Dell


First off, I want to give a huge thanks to +NetGalley as well as Tawni O'dell for letting me have the chance to read this book before it hits the shelves. I was given this e-book in exchange for an honest review. All opinion here are of my own, and may vary from person to person.
Name: Angels Burning
Author: Tawni O'Dell
Release Date: 01/05/2016
Publisher: Gallery Books
Pages: 288
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis via Amazon:
On the surface, Chief Dove Carnahan is a true trailblazer who would do anything to protect the rural Pennsylvanian countryside where she has lived all fifty of her years. Traditional and proud of her blue-collar sensibilities, Dove is loved by her community. But beneath her badge lies a dark and self-destructive streak, fed by a secret she has kept since she was sixteen.

When a girl is beaten to death, her body tossed down a fiery sinkhole in an abandoned coal town, Dove is faced with solving the worst crime of her law enforcement career. She identifies the girl as a daughter of the Truly family, a notoriously irascible dynasty of rednecks and petty criminals.

During her investigation, the man convicted of killing Dove’s mother years earlier is released from prison. Still proclaiming his innocence, he approaches Dove with a startling accusation and a chilling threat that forces her to face the parallels between her own family’s trauma and that of the Trulys.

The review:
I liked this book. I didn't love it, I didn't adore it. I simply liked it. The characters were enjoyable. I learned a lot about the Trulys. I enjoy crime novels, or police procedural novels. It had a couple twists that I had no idea were going to happen, and that's very rare for me. I can normally figure out a book before I finish it, but this wasn't the case this time. It really surprised me on two different accounts. This was a decently quick read for me, and it was easy to get through. I would definitely read other books from O'Dell in the future. If you get a chance to read this, don't miss out on it.

Pre-order the book:
Amazon
Reactions:

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Twists that you couldn't see coming are always good! I do love a well-done mystery.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well! My favorite genre so far. :)

      Delete
  2. I love when I can't figure out the twists in the book right away :D That is if the result isn't way out of left field. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Usually I'm always guessing ahead of time and being right, so it's always nice when a book can throw me for a loop. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for pointing me to your site. I can't wait to have a book for you to review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey great review. Will check out this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great honest review. The book sounds very interesting and may get it for my daughter and I to check out. Thanks Sab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a couple sexual scenes in it, but shouldn't be too bad for anyone 16+. :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a good read! I've been looking for something new to get me through the weekend. Hopefully I can buy it on my Nook! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete